Friday, March 14, 2008

So What is it About Valley??



It's certainly not the ice. I could feel every lump and bump and hill and valley under my blade today and although the ice was less rutted than in was on Tuesday (they apparently did both a wet and a dry cut and caused some skaters to have a very short session...), it was still disconcerting in it's hilliness. Wondering if it is that I am still tired from last weekend and still kind of scattered as to where I am going with my skating these days?

But there was something about the session today that felt oh, so good - it had that "used to be this way" feeling about it. It was a day off for some Beaverton school-district students so we had some good figures skaters (yea!), an ice-dance team (yea!), a couple of the adult regulars (yea!), three coaches with lessons (yea!), some hockey guys (yea!) and a handful of regular recreational skaters of all ages (yea!). And there was something oh so very nice about that. It was cozy, it was comfortable and it was familiar.

Valley. My comfort rink.

Except for the ice.

My other dilemma is now that I am taking a class at Lloyd Center (it was fun but short, by the way) - all of my public sessions there are free and I live about 5 minutes from that rink. So why didn't I go there today? I guess I still wanted some of that old comfort at the Valley.

Despite the ice. Which is scary.

So of course I will give it another chance and another chance and another chance until I finally just give up there altogether.

Or not.

The weekend will bring me back to Lloyd Center for a dance session this weekend. I hope.

No comments: