Friday, March 7, 2008

LC: Mad Public Session!!!!!!!!!!


So I went to the Lloyd Center today presumably for a quiet practice session. I brought my scribe so that I could make sure that my circles were the right size and everything. Some of the coaches were thrilled to see a scribe... Anyway, it looked like there were going to be just the few usual skaters and they were making new ice when I got there.

As I was stepping onto the ice, I was told that there was going to be a group of 65 kids coming in - I could see them at the cashier - oh no!! My perfect session spoiled! One of the coaches was expecting a class and so she put cones up at one end to reserve a section for herself. I figured I'd have 10 minutes of practice and then would have to leave. I thought maybe I would come back this afternoon... but I didn't want to push it.

I got on the ice and scribed out a set of circles. The kids are very quickly getting their skates - obviously they have been here before... I did one outside 8 and determined my circle size was fine for the competition (phew!). Did a serpentine. It was fine.

Then they all rushed onto the ice and at once heading right towards me!!

I noticed that there was nobody on the coned-off area and asked the coach about it. She said that nobody had signed up for her class and so I was welcome to use it for figures. Eureka!!! The practice was saved!!

There were a few strays into the coned area but I got some good work done. Then they took away the cones and I stayed another half-hour and diligently worked on my figures in the center, whereever I could. I figured - "Oh, why not" and got more good work done. "The figures" probably didn't look much like figures per se because they were just parts of figures but oh well, I accomplished my goal for the morning and practiced figures.

I think if I'd have come in late I would have taken one look at the crowd and said, "Oh no!!" and turned around and gone somewhere else... but once I was out there I felt more ownership of the ice and was able to get some work done.
I guess it all depends on your attitude (and your expectations of course!).

Lisa. Sage competitor.

No comments: