Sunday, April 27, 2008

Where Have All the Dancers Gone??






It's a beautiful sunny Sunday in Portland. I decide to head out to the Lloyd Center to go to the social dance session. I'm thinking, "What a great day for ice dance - I'm all relaxed, the sky is blue and I want to dance!"

I guess very few other people felt that way.

It was a nice session - don't get me wrong. It's nice to take a lesson and not have to worry too much about getting in everyone's way, or feeling uncomfortable with other dancers buzzing around me... but c'mon people - where were you?

There were about 10 of us on the ice today. Maybe. 2 men, the rest women (makes for a lopsided social session, that's for sure!). The ice was beautiful. The company, fantastic.

We were able to do figures and work on parts of patterns. That is nice.

Oh yeah, and there was the "runner" on the ice. This kid jumped over the barrier and started running and sliding on the ice. I took it upon myself to tell him to "Get OFF right now!!". I didn't know I had it in me - he looked kind of startled. Oh well, it kind of made my morning.

One of the skaters took a lot of photographs at the sesion so I am happy to post a couple of them to show everyone just how empty it was! You are missed, fellow dancers!!!

7 comments:

HipSk8 said...

Lisa - I looooove the photo of Doug and Patti from above, with the outdoor light filtering onto the ice. Cool!

(BTW, I was not there yesterday because I was at the beach, which was beautiful. Wish I could have done both.) Terri

HipSk8 said...

Speaking of figures ... just who was doing figures at Lloyd Center this morning? The layouts looked quite good ... they were in the curling circles where I practice my choctaws so I could not help noticing.

Lisa Hoberg said...

I don't know who it was but did you know that Portland is hosting an Open "All-Figures" event in summer 2009? We want to make it a big open event where anyone, regardless of age or test level, could compete any figure they want. Maybe it was a person who was thinking about that?? What level were the figures?

HipSk8 said...

Well of course I thought they were yours. They looked like circle eights and serpentines!

Lisa Hoberg said...

NOpe - i am home in bed with a cold. Ruth has been giving figure lessons to people like our friend George...

Eh, George?

Anonymous said...

I've put up some video of the skating at Lloyd Sunday morning. Look for it in the galleries section of the PDX ice dance website.

Donald

Anonymous said...

www.pdxicedance.net