Thursday, February 28, 2008

Lloyd Center: Public Place... Private Ice!!!




I haven't been to an early afternoon session at the Lloyd Center - ever! And so I was pleasantly surprised on this sunny day in Portland. I called to find out when the early afternoon ice-cut was and was told that I could get onto the ice at about 1:20. The person on the phone also told me that there would be a short exhibition first - I think this is something they do there quite often since there is an instant audience in the mall. Okay, well, then I won't have PERFECTLY clean ice to do figures, but I also thought there would be more people there in general and I would have to make due with whatever I had ice-wise.

When I first got on the ice there were about 6 people and I was able to set up my figures at one end - no problem. Then everybody left and I had the whole place to myself for about an hour! It was heavenly. It is a little odd to be the only one out there - you are the only one for anyone to look at, but so be it. It was really nice not to have to watch out for ANYBODY and the ice was good and flat and clean. Yippee! Definitely worth the price of admission!

Most likely it was so empty because the weather was so nice and why would anybody but the crazy people be ice-skating on such a beautiful day? I will definitely go back again and make it a point to go in the early afternoon for a very nice practice! Too bad there were no ice-dancers there to skate with (hint-hint) because that would have been it especially, doubly fun!

We can dream, can't we?

Tomorrow, back to Valley for a lesson. Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Angela Kim said...

I love this! Hmmmm, I like private ice- but not so much public. Is there a stereo at the rink???

thanks Lisa :)

Lisa Hoberg said...

There is a stereo but I'm not sure what the access is - at the public sessions they play an XM-type station - all classical, or showtunes or country, or whatever. During freestyles I think there is more access.
Care to meet up there sometime?

Anonymous said...

Skaters cannot play CD on the rink's stereo system during public sessions. Even coaches cannot do that. They all have boombox for that reason.