Friday, February 22, 2008

Friday February 22 - Valley

Well, I went back to Valley this morning, dreaming of clean beautiful ice. Of course I was disappointed as we had the lovely rutted stuff that we've had lately. Luckily there were none of those huge yellow bumps which seem to happen when it has been raining and there is a lot of condensation.

I managed to find some spots to work on my figures for Adult Sectionals which is happening in two weeks. But it is funny that when the ice is smooth I don't notice how uneven it is, but today with all of the ruts and having to be especially careful, I notice the hills again.

I asked one of the zamboni guys why there could be good ice one day and not the next. He said that if they clean it twice then it's okay but the other guy this morning only did one round with the zamboni. I know it takes more time and more energy and water, but could they possibly just care about us a little?

On the other hand, I still had a good skate. I generally like the atmosphere there because the people are friendly and we can do whatever we want with the music, etc. I guess it's that slacker attitude that when brought into another arena (so to speak), it makes for a good experience. If only the ice were better!

Tomorrow I am doing a judging critique at the Lloyd Center Ice Rink (http://www.lloydcenterice.com/) for the Skating Club of Oregon (http://www.skatingcluboforegon.org/) for all of the Adults that are going to Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals, which will be held at Sherwood Ice Arena this year. The event is open to all adults who are competing there regardless of club affiliation. I love this attitude of inclusiveness and am glad that my club is open to hosting all of the adult skaters. It is a good place for people to put out their programs in front of an audience a couple of weeks before the competition. Of course, being in a mall, the rink is small and somewhat warm, but there are also a lot of people who watch the skaters and that is good for someone who is going to be competing and will get them used to having an audience, or at least onlookers.

No comments: